The Visitor Centre, a privileged tourist information point in the city centre, is located inside the deconsecrated Church of Santa Maria ad Nives.
The church was part of the religious complex of Santa Maria della Misericordia, built in 1368 along the decumanus maximus, today’s Corso d’Augusto.
Thanks to the Malatesta family during the 15th century it became a hospital while in the following century it also became an orphanage: still today on the facade of the church (right side near the entrance) is the pit used at the time to introduce, as the inscription engraved on the marble reads, “Elemosine and Remains to the Hospitale Misericordia.”
In the 1800s the hospital in the modern sense arose and maintained its headquarters here until 1976. The original structure, damaged in the 1916 earthquake, was finally deconsecrated in 1930 and later purchased by the City of Rimini.
Today there is a multimedia information path here that allows visitors to retrace the historical events of the city through a rich multimedia apparatus housed in the nave.Julius Caesar leads the way by presenting the four stations that tell the story of Rimini:
1. The Great Julius Caesar
2. Living in Rimini
3. Rimini and the sea
4. Rimini and the legacy of antiquity
Address: Corso d’Augusto, 235 – Rimini
tourist info line 0541/53399